Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Customer is King...

NOT!

Don't get me wrong on this, as each company should always strife to get as much customers as possible and treat them well, otherwise they will not stick around long.

I'm active as free techsupport and customer support for online games, and I'm pretty sure that everyone else who works in a similar branche encounters the same problems.
Users will always try to get on your nerves and demand that they get helped or refunded for things they are not even entitled too.

In worse cases they just demand that you do as they tell because they are paying for your services and demand to be treated like a king because the mantra says "the customer is king".
I agree that we need to help the people, but just jumping at their winks and filling their demands is where I draw line.

This is especially true if they come with problems created by their own stupidity or are telling you how they know things better.
Again, I'm not against helping the people as not everyone can solve problems without guidance or simply lacks the knowledges for doing so, but some people really ought to learn that respect has to go 2 ways.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, just pay me my money already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dare you to post that under your real name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, just pay me my money already ;)

    There you go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to work in a Hardware/Software retailer in Leeds (UK) Computer Exchange (CEX Pron: Sex ;)).

    We bought and sold 2nd hand PC/Console/Phones/etc plus a little new stuff too.

    So as you can imagine we had a lot of customers coming in wanting free tech support. And we (in our store) we almost universally rude to them, I don't mean we called them names or anything we were polite but told them what was what rather than kissing up to them. And while once or twice that backfired and we ended up banning a customer (for being an idiot) mostly we were praised for being honest and talking in a plain manner.

    And of the stores we were regularly 2nd in the daily sales table (1st was centre of London). Our then manager was responsible for my training and its the way I work now even though I long since have left that company/store. Honesty is always IMO more important than being nice to a customer.

    LN

    ReplyDelete