Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Last Airbender

So, this weekend I went to the movies to watch "The Last Airbender".
I've seen the entire cartoon series on Nickelodeon, thanks to my little brother, so I had a certain expectation of the movie. While the movie was certainly not bad, I had the feeling that it did not live up to the expectation I had.

Several of the key characters have a lack of depth in the movie. You're suddenly thrown into the world of element bending, without proper context. The story is told at the start of the movie, but it's lacking. Some of the characters are pretty shallow in regards to their background and important in the story.

A big plus however are the special effects. The bending of the various elements was nice to watch, as were the duals between elemental masters. The only downside on this was the bending of the element earth. It appears as if the rendering of those effects took a dent during the making of the movie. All elements are smooth, yet when earth is used the effect seems to "slow down" as if the computer used for making the effect could not render it properly or display it properly.

Besides that I recommend the movie to anyone who is into this kind of stuff. The expectations aren't met, but all in all it's not a bad movie to watch.



p.s I watched the 3D version.

No comments:

Post a Comment